You’ve come to the right blog if you’re interested in learning more about researcher lives and cultures, how to navigate grants-speak and build your research track-record, and being part of an international community of scholars and research professionals!
The Research Whisperer is dedicated to the topic of doing research in academia. We’re here to help and encourage.
- We are not a ‘how to’ guide to doing research, but we do share strategies and practical tips and techniques that work for us.
- We don’t just talk about funding. Being a successful researcher involves much more than that, and calls on a wide range of knowledge and skills. Who you are as a scholar is a complicated thing.
- We want to stimulate conversations, so our posts will be opinionated, hopefully constructive, and occasionally exploratory.
Since the Research Whisperer started in 2011, Tseen and Jonathan have written regularly for the blog. For years now, we’ve also worked with guest authors from all over the world; we actively solicit content for the blog from our wonderful collegial networks. We also consider unsolicited submissions.
We publish at least fortnightly.
Want to use our material?
You are free to reproduce any posts from the Research Whisperer through the Creative Commons “Attribution-non commercial-sharealike” license. We would like to know how you are using our material, just out of interest, so feel free to drop us a line or include the link in the comments section attached to the feedback page.
Want more Research Whisperer?
Our articles for other people
Sometimes, nice people ask us to contribute to their publications. Sometimes, they just write about us. Here is where we have written for, or appeared in, other publications.
- The Conference Mentor: Funding a Conference Trip for Early Career Researchers, 23 June 2014.
- Connect (NTEU’s casuals magazine): “Exploring an open future”, Connect 6.2 .
- Connect (NTEU’s casuals magazine): “You and your research CV”, Connect 6.1 .
- Research Global: “The Research Whisperer: Research development and social media”, 2013.
- Connect (NTEU’s casuals magazine): “Lessons in naivety”, Connect 5.2 .
- Next Scientist: Are You Reading These 17 Science Blogs? You Should, 27 July 2012.
- Life after Thesis: Top 10 Post-PhD Resources, 25 July 2012.
- Campus Review: Psst! Here’s how to get a grant, 6 Feb 2012 [Free subscription required].
- The Networked Researcher: The Origins of the Research Whisperer (Wayback Machine version), 17 October 2011.
- Guardian Higher Education: 10 Australian social media influencers in higher education, 28 Sept 2011.