Agenda and other details
9:00 am – 5:00 pm,
Monday 29 August 2016
The Drawing Room, University House,
1 Balmain Crescent [Map to University House]
Australian National University, Acton, ACT 2601.
If you are lost or have questions, please phone Jonathan O’Donnell on 0425 755 829.
The 2016 Whisper Workshop brings together twenty-five key people interested in linking universities and various industry sectors. It is specifically designed to increase networks & partnerships among our different research communities.
The key theme for the 2016 workshop is better communication through social media.
Deciding the program
After allowing for lunch and tea breaks, we’ll have time for 11 x 25 minute discussion slots, with five minute breaks between. We will use the first slot to decide what the actual program would be. Each person writes down what they want to talk about, and then we just vote on the topics.
There is enough expertise in the room to easily fill the slots available. Come along prepared to contribute, if you have something that you want to say. This might be a new development that you are working on, or a problem that you need help with. It might be a half-baked idea that needs a bit of critical love. Or it could be that your area of expertise could be helpful to the other people in the room. Have a look at what happened at the 2015 Whisper Workshop to get an idea of how it might work.
The room will have the standard university facilities – overhead project with sound and access to the Internet. If you want to use overheads, bring them along on a USB stick. University House has provided us with temporary wireless log-on for the day, so you will be able to connect to the world while you are here.
7 – 9 am: Breakfast at Fellows Cafe cafe for those who are interested.
Fellows Cafe is at University House, 1 Balmain Crescent, Acton ACT 2601.
[Map to Fellows Cafe.]
9 – 9:25 am: Introductions and decide the program.
11 – 11:30 am: Coffee break at Fellows Cafe.
12:30 – 1:30 pm: Lunch provided – thanks, Inger!
3 – 3:30 pm: Coffee break at Fellows Cafe.
5 pm: Finish proceedings.
6 pm onwards: Drinks and dinner at
Boffins Monster Kitchen and Bar for those who can stay on and others (such as Daniel Reeders) who would like to join us. Partners welcome.
Jonathan O’Donnell, Convener
- Co-founder of the Research Whisperer blog.
- Research Developer, Design and Social Context, RMIT University.
Jonathan specialises in finding funding for interesting people. At RMIT he works with artists, designers, educators, architects, fashion designers, writers, poets, media scholars, social scientists and humanities researchers. He is currently researching the use of crowdfunding to finance university research.
Jonathan on LinkedIn | Jonathan on Twitter (@jod999) | ORCID: 0000-0001-5435-235X.
- Research Manager, Museum of Applied Arts & Sciences.
Kylie is a researcher, writer and project manager who has a broad interest in how art and design intersects with people and technology. She focuses her research on creativity, creative process and practice, and social media in a variety of contexts. In the museum context she researches exhibitions in relation to cultures of making, materiality, and the way in which audiences create meaning from exhibition content via social media platforms.
Kylie on LinkedIn | Kylie on Twitter (@kyliebudge) | ORCID: 0000-0002-3783-5111.
- Co-founder of the Research Whisperer blog.
- Research Education and Development (RED), La Trobe University.
Tseen has written on research funding issues, early career researcher experiences, alternative academic streams, and racial diversity issues in Australia. Since its creation in 2006, she has been the convenor of the Asian Australian Studies Research Network (AASRN).
Tseen on LinkedIn | Tseen on Twitter (@tseenster) | ORCID: 0000-0002-5447-061X.
- Founder, Chat with Rellypops blog.
- Founder #MuseumEdOz.
- Academic Program Director Postgraduate Teacher Education, La Trobe University.
Narelle focuses on engagement and participation in the areas of teacher capacity building and cultural organisations in galleries, museums and other alternative education settings; social media for professional development including Twitter, Pinterest, blogging and Instagram; and working in academia.
Narelle on LinkedIn | Narelle on Twitter (@rellypops) | Narelle on Instagram (@rellypops) | ORCID: 0000-0003-1396-5488.
- Founder of the Thesis Whisperer blog.
- Director of Research Training, Australian National University.
Inger has been specialising in the study of research education and research student support since 2005. Prior to this she lectured in architecture in various universities and worked in architecture offices for around a decade. Her main areas of research interest are doctoral education theory and practice, research practice and policy, design teaching and online education.
Inger on LinkedIn | Inger on Twitter (@thesiswhisperer) | ORCID: 0000-0003-0683-5255.
Kath Albury, School of Arts and Media, University of NSW.
- Kath on LinkedIn | Kath on Twitter (@kathalbury).
James Arvanitakis, Dean, Graduate Research School, University of Western Sydney.
- James on LinkedIn | James on Twitter (@jarvanitakis) | James’ blog.
Kate Bagnall, DECRA Research Fellow, University of Wollongong.
- Kate on LinkedIn | Kate on Twitter (@baibi) | Kate’s blog | ORCID: 0000-0003-1426-7294.
Helen Barcham, Partnerships and Business Development Officer, Institute of Culture and Society, Western Sydney University.
- Helen on LinkedIn | Helen on Twitter (@HelenBarcham).
Kate Bowles, co-founder & co-editor of Casual, Adjunct, Sessional Staff and Allies (CASA) and narrative researcher.
- Kate on Twitter (@KateMfD) | Kate’s blog.
Victoria Firth-Smith, Senior Program & Events Coordinator, Research Training, ANU.
- Victoria on Twitter (@firthsmith).
Katie Freund, Senior eLearning Designer, Australian National University.
- Katie on LinkedIn | Katie on Twitter (@katiedigc) | Katie’s blog.
Roanna Gonsalves, writer & academic, University of NSW.
- Roanna on LinkedIn | Roanna on Twitter (@roannagonsalves) | Roanna’s website | ORCID: 0000-0001-9729-580X.
Helen Hyland, Senior Librarian, National Gallery of Australia.
Linda Kirkman, Public Health, La Trobe University.
Sophie Lewis, DECRA Research Fellow, ANU.
- Sophie on Twitter (@aviandelights) | Sophie’s blog | ORCID: 0000-0001-6416-0634.
Karina Luzia, co-founder & co-editor of Casual, Adjunct, Sessional Staff and Allies (CASA), social geographer, higher education worker and researcher.
- Karina on Twitter (@acahacker) | CASA blog | ORCID: 0000-0002-5468-1716.
Sharon McDonough, Curriculum Studies (Humanities), Federation University.
- Sharon on Twitter (@Sharon_McD) | Sharon’s website.
Megan McPherson, practicing artist, educational researcher & PhD student.
- Megan on LinkedIn | Megan on Twitter (@MeganJMcPherson) | ORCID: 0000-0002-1500-3613.
Tamson Pietsch, DECRA Research Fellow, University of Sydney.
- Tamson on LinkedIn | Tamson on Twitter (@cap_and_gown) | Tamson’s blog | ORCID: 0000-0002-8304-7108.
Jen Ross, co-director, Centre for Research in Digital Education, University of Edinburgh.
- Jen on LinkedIn | Jen on Twitter (@jar) | Jen’s blog | ORCID: 0000-0001-6923-4102.
Angelina Russo, Associate Dean, Research Faculty of Arts & Design, University of Canberra.
- Angelina on LinkedIn | Angelina on Twitter (@artech05) | ORCID: 0000-0001-9827-4971.
Colin Simpson, Senior Educational Developer, ANU College of Business and Economics.
- Colin on LinkedIn | Colin on Twitter (@gamerlearner) | Colin’s blog | ORCID: 0000-0002-2175-9118.
Kim Tairi, University Librarian, Auckland University of Technology.
- Kim on LinkedIn | Kim on Twitter (@kimtairi) | Kim’s blog | ORCID: 0000-0003-2580-5756.
Deb Verhoeven, Chair In Media And Communication, Deakin University.
- Deb on LinkedIn | Deb on Twitter (@bestqualitycrab) | ORCID: 0000-0003-3680-3561.