9:00 am – 5:00 pm,
Friday 14 September 2018.
La Trobe University City Campus,
Boardroom, Level 20, 360 Collins Street, Melbourne [Map].
If you are lost on the day, please telephone Jonathan O’Donnell on 0425 755 829.
The Whisper Workshop (#Whispercon) brings together twenty people interested in discussing and sharing their expertise. It builds our networks and brings people together to share their practices and processes. Basically, how – and why – do you do the things you do?
The key theme for the 2018 workshop is research communication.
- Creating and sustaining channels of communication.
- How to encourage #circleofniceness and personal learning networks.
- Practical insights into effective research communication.
Past #Whispercons: 2015 | 2016 | 2017
The program for 2018
|09:45am||10:30am||Narelle Lemon: #circleofniceness – how do we make it happen?|
|10:30am||11:00am||Morning tea = 30 minutes|
|11:00am||11:45am||Lisa Godinho with Jen Martin: Does good science communication require cultural intelligence?|
|11:45am||12:30pm||Jonathan O’Donnell: Micro-patronage as research communication|
|12:30pm||01:30pm||Lunch = 1 hour|
|01:30pm||02:15pm||Terry Mulhern: Research Impact is not (can’t be?) measured by ‘scholarly citations’.|
|02:15pm||03:00pm||Shainal Kavar / Tseen Khoo: Corporate expectations of new graduates & new hires with a specific emphasis on communications / Research comms ‘internships’.|
|03:00pm||03:30pm||Afternoon tea = 30 minutes|
|03:30pm||04:15pm||Inger Mewburn: Strategies for creating institutional change|
|04:15pm||05:00pm||Wrap up = 45 minutes|
Afterward, we are invited to join local Wikipedians and Andy Mabbitt for drinks and dinner at ACMI cafe, Federation Square.
We set the topics for Whispercon through an ‘unconference’ voting process, so that things that most people are interested in can float to the top.
The room will have the standard university facilities – overhead project with sound and access to the Internet. If you want to use overheads, bring them along on a USB stick. There will be temporary wireless access for the day, or you can use EduRoam to connect to the world for the day.
- Co-founder, Research Whisperer.
- Research Education and Development (RED), La Trobe University.
Tseen has researched and published on research funding issues, early career researcher experiences, alternative academic streams, and racial diversity issues in Australia. She is the founding convenor of the Asian Australian Studies Research Network (AASRN; 2006-2017). Her research interests include scholar activism, social media literacy, and academic community-building.
Tseen on LinkedIn | Tseen on Twitter (@tseenster) | Tseen on Instagram (@tseenster) | ORCID: 0000-0002-5447-061X.
- Founder, Chat with Rellypops.
- Founder #MuseumEdOz.
- Founder #exploreandcreatestories.
- Associate Professor in Education (Professional Experience) at Swinburne University of Technology.
Narelle focuses on engagement and participation in the areas of teacher and learner capacity building and cultural organisations in galleries, museums and other alternative education settings; social media for professional development including Twitter, Pinterest, blogging and Instagram; and working in academia.
Narelle on LinkedIn | Narelle on Twitter (@rellypops) | Narelle on Instagram (@rellypops) | ORCID: 0000-0003-1396-5488.
- Founder, Thesis Whisperer.
- Director of Research Training, Australian National University.
Inger has been specialising in the study of research education and research student support since 2005. Prior to this she lectured in architecture in various universities and worked in architecture offices for around a decade. Her main areas of research interest are doctoral education theory and practice, research practice and policy, design teaching and online education.
Inger on LinkedIn | Inger on Twitter (@thesiswhisperer) | ORCID: 0000-0003-0683-5255.
- Co-founder, Research Whisperer.
- Research Developer, Design and Social Context, RMIT University.
Jonathan specialises in finding funding for interesting people. At RMIT he works with artists, designers, educators, architects, fashion designers, writers, poets, media scholars, social scientists and humanities researchers. He is currently researching the use of crowdfunding to finance university research.
Jonathan on LinkedIn | Jonathan on Twitter (@jod999) | Jonathan on Instagram (@jodonnell999) | ORCID: 0000-0001-5435-235X.
Farrah Abdullah, Digital Communications Designer, Aurecon.
Kath Albury, Professor of Media and Communication, Swinburne University of Technology.
- Kath on LinkedIn | Kath on Twitter (@kathalbury) | ORCID: 0000-0001-9043-8126.
Carolyn Beasley, Deputy Department Chair, Media and Communication, Swinburne University of Technology.
- Carolyn on LinkedIn | Carolyn on Twitter (@carolynmbeasley).
Divya Das, Council for the Humanities, Arts and Social Sciences.
- CHASS on Twitter (@CHASS_Aus).
Jason Downs, Business – Learning and Teaching, RMIT University.
- Jason on LinkedIn | Jason on Twitter (@jasondowns) | Jason on Instagram (DrJasonDowns) | Jason’s blog | ORCID: 0000-0003-2480-8701.
Lisa Godinho, BioSciences, University of Melbourne.
Jasonne Grabher, Strategy, Policy & Engagement Advisor.
Karen Hutchings, MARCS Institute for Brain, Behaviour and Development, Western Sydney University.
- Karen on LinkedIn | ORCID: 0000-0002-0111-5091.
Shainal Kavar, Chief Information Officer, Spotless Group.
Jen Martin, Science Communication, University of Melbourne.
- Jen on LinkedIn | Jen on Twitter (@scidocmartin) | Jen’s blog.
Anthony McCosker, Media and Communication, Swinburne University of Technology.
- Anthony on LinkedIn | Anthony on Twitter (@acmccosker) | ORCID: 0000-0003-0666-3262.
Sharon McDonough, Faculty of Education and Arts, Federation University.
- Sharon on Instagram (shaz_makes_stuff) | Sharon’s blog.
Terry Mulhern, Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, University of Melbourne.
- Terry on LinkedIn | ORCID: 0000-0002-1609-7498.
Lareen Newman, Education Arts and Social Sciences, University of South Australia.
- Lareen on LinkedIn | Lareen on Twitter (@lareennewman) | ORCID: 0000-0002-5410-1072.
Ian Solomonides, Vice President, Learning and Teaching, Victoria University.
- Ian on LinkedIn | Ian on Twitter (@solfella) | ORCID: 0000-0002-6559-9697.
Liz Stainforth, Endeavour Scholar, University of Leeds.
- Liz on LinkedIn | Liz on Twitter (@emcstainforth) | Liz’ blog | ORCID: 0000-0003-2917-3522.